The PADI Dive Master course is the first step into the professional levels of recreational scuba diving. Working closely with a PADI Instructor, you will expand your dive knowledge and hone your skills to the professional level. PADI Dive Master training develops your leadership abilities, qualifying you to supervise dive activities and assist instructors with student divers. PADI Dive Master is the prerequisite certification for both the PADI Assistant Instructor and PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor certifications.
During your internship at Luna Beach Resort, you will learn dive leadership skills through both classroom and independent study. You complete water skills and stamina exercises, as well as training exercises that stretch your ability to organize and solve problems as well as help others improve their scuba diving. You put this knowledge into action through a structured internship or series of practical training exercises. It normally takes about 10 -12 weeks to complete the PADI Dive Master program depending on the availability of suitable experience. I therefore would suggest that this program is undertaken during our busy period, so that you can get as much experience as possible.
To enroll on the PADI Dive Master program you need to have to following prerequisites:
- 18 years old
- A PADI Advanced Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization)
- A PADI Rescue Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization)
- An Emergency First Response Primary and Secondary Care (or qualifying first aid and CPR training from another organization) course completion within the past 24 months.
- Have at least 20 dives to begin the course and 60 for certification
- Be fit for diving and submit a Medical Statement signed by a physician within the last 12 months.
You will also ideally need all your own basic scuba equipment, although we could rent you the basic gear and you could supplement this with some additional scuba accessories such as dive slates, dive knife, compass and dive watch/computer etc. I will have to work up a cost for rental of this basic equipment for your internship as we normally charge 8 US dollars per dive which would become very expensive over a 10 – 12 week period.
Apart from that you will need the PADI Dive Master crewpak which includes everything you’ll need to start the PADI Dive Master program. The complete set of materials includes:
- The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving – a comprehensive overview of diving physics, physiology, and equipment.
- The Diving Knowledge Workbook – a self-study guide used in preparation for the Dive Master and Instructor exams.
- Dive Master slates
- PADI Dive Master Manual
- Discover Scuba Diving Cue Card
- CD-ROM with instructor outlines for Dive Master-conducted programs (exclusive item not available for purchase separately)
This Dive Master crewpak could be purchase for you by us and sent to your home, so that you could do some reading and studying prior to coming to Roatan. This way it would potentially reduce the time required to complete the internship. You would also be advised to refresh you Rescue diver knowledge as this is part of the initial assessment.
The cost of the PADI Divemaster program at Luna Beach is currently $690 US dollars + local tax at 12%. We do not provide free accommodation as part of the course nor do we make payment to Divemaster internship for their time assisting us with general dive related tasks in and around the dive centre, boats etc. as this is part of your overall training experience.